Lambrusco, the slightly fizzy red wine got a bad rap in the 70’s and 80’s when sweet versions (7%/8% alc.) were the highest selling imported wines in the United States. Times have, changed, though, and there’s been a resurgence in artisanally-produced Lambruscos made in the traditional secco frizzante style. Traditionally grown around Parma, Modena, Reggio, and Mantova Lambrusco is the ultimate pairing for a platter of Prosciutto di Parma, and chunks of Parmigiano-Reggiano drizzled with balsamic vinegar in a stunning illustration of the idea that “if it grows together, it goes together!”
The Lambrusco revival is being led by producers who take care to produce wines that are varietally true and imbued with a distinct sense of terroir. Many of these committed producers have rescued indigenous varieties from near extinction and come from families that have produced the wine locally for generations. With its light body, low alcohol content (min. 10.5% alc.), slight fizz, bright fruit, and hint of bitterness, Lambrusco has become a darling among sommeliers looking for something unique, crowd-pleasing, and food-friendly.
This June, celebrate the revival of real Lambrusco with a glass of the good stuff and all the accoutrements of an afternoon snack in Parma!
Participating Retailers & Restaurants
- Blue Angel Wines @BlueAngelWines1
- Brooklyn Wine Exchange @BKWineXchange
- David Rosengarten @d_rosengarten
- Gotham Wines @GothamWinesNY
- Franny’s @frannysbk
- Free Range Wine @FreeRangeWine
- Indie Food & Wine @indienyc
- Lisa’s Liquor Barn
- Maureen Lisi @OneGreatChef
- Murray’s @CityWineryNYC
- Tarallucci e Vino @taralluccinyc
- Windsor Wines @WindsorWines
- Ca’ Montanari @Opera02
- Cantina Quistello @CanQuistello
- Lini910 @Lini910
- Paola Rinaldini @RinaldiniPaola
- Parmigiano-Reggiano @TheOnlyParmesan
- Prosciutto di Parma @ParmaHam_USA
- Wine Industry Netwok @WineIndustryNetwork: The rebranding of the wine with the worst reputation in the world.
Lambrusco Day @DolceVita_HTX. Damn…put it on your calendars for next year. What an outstanding dinner!
— Bobby_Heugel (@Bobby_Heugel) June 22, 2014