Ten Days of ‘serious’ Fun | June 16th – June 26th, 2016
Lambrusco got a bad rap in the 70’s and 80’s when an industrial US version (4%-9.5% alc., 50-80g/l sugar) of real Lambrusco (red, frizzante, secco= sugar: max 15g/l , min. 11% alc.) became the best-selling imported wine in the USA.
Times have changed and there’s been a resurgence of authentic Lambrusco made in the traditional secco frizzante style. Grown around Parma, Modena, Reggio, Bologna, and Mantova, Lambrusco is the ultimate pairing for a platter of Prosciutto di Parma, and chunks of Parmigiano-Reggiano drizzled with balsamic vinegar in a stunning illustration of the idea that “if it grows together, it goes together!”
The Lambrusco Secco revival is being led by producers who take care to produce wines that are varietally true and imbued with a distinct sense of terroir. Many of these committed producers have rescued indigenous Lambrusco varieties from near extinction and come from families that have produced exclusively Lambrusco Secco locally for generations.
With its low alcohol content (min. 11% alc.), slight fizz, bright fruit, and hint of bitterness, true Lambrusco Secco has become a darling among sommeliers looking for something unique, crowd-pleasing, and food-friendly.
Sagra del Lambrusco e degli Spiriti DiVini
Albinea, RE, Italy
- Thursday, June 16th – Sunday, June 19th
“Dating back to 1951 this local country festival celebrates the Lambrusco wine of Emilia-Romagna together with its many traditional products. It is a simply wonderful way to pass a sultry summer evening, sipping from Emilia’s wine cellars in Piazza Cavicchioni e Parco Lavezza.”
dine & lambrusco ’16
International Lambrusco Week
- Friday, June 17th: Modena Lambrusco Day
Sorbara, Grasparossa, Salamino di Santa Croce, Bollito Misto
- Saturday, June 18th: Reggio Lambrusco Day
Salamino, Montericco, Gnocco Fritto, Tortellini in Brodo
- Sunday, June 19th: Parma Lambrusco Day
Maestri, Parmigiano Reggiano, Proscuitto, Culatello
Monday, 20th: 6th. W0rld Lambrusco Day
Share your joy and introduce someone to #RealLambrusco!
- Tuesday, June 21st: Mantova Lambrussco Day
- Wednesday, June 22nd: Bologna Lambrusco Day
Ragu’ alla Bolognese, Mortadella
- Thursday, June 23rd: Lambrusco Ancestrale/Spumante Day
Metodo Rifermentazione Ancestrale, Spumante Charmat and Metodo Classico
Festival del Lambrusco
Villa Sorra, Castelfranco, MO, Italy
Real Lambrusco Moments 2011-2020
Even though most people consider June 21 as the date of the June Solstice, it can happen anytime between June 20 and June 22, depending on which time zone you’re in. June 22 Solstices are rare – the last June 22 Solstice in UTC time took place in 1975 and there won’t be another one until 2203.
- 10th World Lambrusco Day 2020: Saturday, June 20th.
- 9th World Lambrusco Day 2019: Friday, June 21st.
- 8th World Lambrusco Day 2018: Thursday, June 21st.
- 7th World Lambrusco Day 2017: Wednesday, June 21st.
- 6th World Lambrusco Day 2016: Monday, June 20th.
- 5th World Lambrusco Day 2015: Sunday, June 21st.
- 4th World Lambrusco Day 2014: Saturday, June 21st.
- 3rd. World Lambrusco Day 2013: Friday, June 21st.
- 2nd. World Lambrusco Day 2012: Wednesday, June 20th.
- 1st. World Lambrusco Day 2011: Tuesday, June 21st.